Sunday, August 4, 2013

20 Years in the Making...


Hi Beautiful People,

Now that I'm back on track to having "A Life"...
I will be publishing more of my weekly shenanigans!

With that being said...this past weekend was my 20 Year High School Reunion - Morningside High School Class of 1993. Yeah I know...I'm getting OLD. As long as I don't look it I'm a happy camper (wink)!

It all started about 1 year ago!! The invention of Facebook helped me to reunite with some of my former MHS classmates so we could come together to plan this reunion!
 
Flashback - What had happened was...I tried to plan the 10 year Reunion on my own because no one wanted to help. There was a reunion company (who will remain nameless, smh) that was involved and trying to help but they were bootleg! Needless to say it didn't work out. So naturally, because we did not have a 10 Year Reunion it was only fitting that we plan a 3 Day Weekend for our 20 Year Reunion.

Fast forward to Summer 2012 and because of social media at least 8 people volunteered to be apart of the Reunion Committee. We met on a monthly basis and with the support of our alumni we were able to raise $500 to book our Ballroom at the Courtyard Marriott in Pasadena. Of course there were issues during this year long journey - people dropped out of the committee, some people were not doing their share of the work and we were always dealing with various excuses, etc.. It was very frustrating for those people who were consistent every time! We had to pray to get through the last few months because a couple of people were on the verge of getting cursed out!!!!!!
 
Finally the 3 Day Weekend had arrived. My twin sis and I booked a room at the hotel because we did not want to drive back and forth from LA to Pasadena all weekend. 

Unfortunately, my Twin sis had to work late so she did not make it to the Friday night Festivities!! But you know I did...and of course I took lots of pictures!! I don't mind playing paparazzi because I like documenting my memories!!

Friday Night - Mix & Mingle Time

Oh shit! Bar Celona was our Spot!!! It wasn't the original location we choose but it worked itself out. Food and drank that's all we needed. We were going to go over to Club Menage two doors down but they were trippin on us and trying to enforce a cover charge after a certain time. Good thing Bar Celona's DJ was cool and kept the party going!!! We already had a big enough section for our group and it was FREE! All it took was for Phoenix Breaux to walk in the door with a very "generous friend" and shots, shots, shots, shots!!! Surprisingly they were Delicious! We had over 10 to 15 Alumni come out and party with us and it was a GREAT way to start the weekend.
 
Saturday Day - First stop, Michaels to get some items for the Reunion. Second stop,
Lunch with Keesha at The Yardhouse at Paseo Colorado Mall. I was still looking for a purse to match my shoes and a cute bracelet...but no such luck!!! (sad face). Third stop Target - I found a cute purse but it really was not what I was looking for...but it will do for now!


Saturday Night - I go to the Mission Room early to meet our Great Reunions Hostess Sheri who was really cool. DJ Biggy Beats was on the 1s and 2s setting up his area. The producers and camera crew for the filming of Hardwood Dreams 3 Documentary were present and getting ready to film.

Sidebar - My MHS alumni partner in crime Tenisha G. had been communicating with the HD3 producers as they had reached out to her saying they wanted to film the MHS 1993 Basketball Players at the Reunion. A little history...the 1993 MHS men won CIF and State Championships in Basketball in 1992. They were the talk of Inglewood and back then they filmed the first Documentary of Hardwood Dreams highlighting our boys and their goals for the future - college scholarships and/or draft to the NBA. 10 Years Later Hardwood Dreams 2 was filmed but we didn't have our 10 year reunion so we had no idea it happened. 20 years later is the filming of the last installment.
 
Unfortunately, only 3 of the 5 showed up at the Reunion - Sean Harris, Corey Saffold and Dwight Curry. When I say the Life of the Party was Dwight and he really got the party started!! He hasn't changed a bit! We got Turnt Up after that!!! We ate, drank, twerked and had a great time! Lol
 Shout out to THE BEST MHS c/o 93 REUNION COMMITTEE EVER! - Those who worked their asses off - Tenisha Gates, Lashawn Fuller and LaTanya Phillips. Lisa Glymph and her husband couldn't make it to the Reunion due to a prior engagement but Lisa definitely contributed to the planning process. If you fell off at the end and failed to communicate with the clique you gets NO Shout Out !!!  I'm sorry, but if you can't tell... a part of me is bitter because as adults you would think people would be more considerate of others...but it looks like that's "too much like right". Moving on...

For once people showed up right on time - 7pm. Unfortunately, I was walking around with no shoes on because I kept getting distracted with various things that needed to get done. I was finally able to sit down and put on my Monika Chiang heels. It took me at least 15 minutes and I broke a sweat in the process!! But once I put them on you couldn't tell me nothing. I love those shoes...and I wasn't taking them off until they kicked us out the ballroom...no matter how bad my feet hurt, Lol. I forgot to put my Aldo cushions in but that didn't stop me! 
What made my weekend was Monica Chiang herself giving me a SHOUT OUT on Instagram!!

During the discombobulated program that I was allegedly hosting, my trusty sidekick LaTanya (helped saved my ass by tallying up the votes) - for the (Fun?) Reunion Certificates we gave out that night: Just to name a few...My twin Keesha was voted The Best Dressed Alumni - Female, Corey Saffold was voted The Best Dressed Alumni - Male, Lashawn was voted the Alumni That Hasn't Changed A Bit, Phoenix Breaux was voted the Alumni That Changed the Most, Tenisha was voted Alumni with the Best Body 20 Years Later, Edward Turner was voted the Alumni that Traveled the Furthest (hailing from the state of Washington), Kysha Hadley was voted the Alumni that has been Married the Longest and Dwight Curry was voted the Alumni that was Most Unlikely to Come to the Reunion!  We gave out more certificates so Shout out to all the MHS Alumni Winners! 

By the end of the night -
The Filming was Over...

            The Program was done

                        We were Good & Tipsey

                                    Our Feet were Hurting...from dancing

                                                Massive amounts of pictures were taken

                                                            & MHS Alumni c/o 93 were Happy...

I think this Reunion Night turned out to be very Successful !! I'm so glad it's over, Lol.
No more stress...but in the end it was worth it !

Sunday at Memorial Park - Oh you thought I was done??? MHS Alumni packed the blankets, lawn chairs, dominoes, UNO, playing cards, alcohol and snacks for a Day at the Park. The jazz didn't start until 7pm but that didn't stop us from enjoying the beautiful day and relaxing in the sun with our MHS 19Naughty3 T-shirts (thanks Tenisha). Unfortunately Keesha and I had to leave early because we were going to the Jay Z and Justin Timberlake Concert at the Pasadena Rose Bowl.

This was the perfect way to end a Perfect weekend - Legends of the Summer Concert -
JT and HOVA put on a Great Show!! I Loved it!!
 
Me and Kee taking selfies before our Uber ride to the Bowl.
& Me throwin up the deuces with my Target leather sleeve T-shirt that I love (that Kee got me)! "the higher the heel the closer to heaven".

The worst part about this 3 day weekend is that we were away from our Princess - Bailey who had to go to The Pooch Hotel for the weekend (sad face). We missed her tremendously!! But next time we are booking a dog friendly hotel so she can come with us (smiley face)!!!

We Love this Little Dog - Princess Bailey!
 
I can honestly say my Twin Sis and I had a GREAT Reunion Weekend!
Sorry but there were no love connections this weekend so as you know...
The Adventures of Single and Fabulous must go on!
Stay Tuned...Smooches!
           

No comments:

Post a Comment